Friday, February 3, 2012

Day 109: De-cluttering Laundry for 2012

Everywhere I look these days, I find too many things that have a home and it is not in it and then there is stuff that is just lingering around because it doesn't have a home yet. There just aren't enough hours in the day for me to find homes for these "things".

I knew when we brought our mini-humans into the world that along with them would come stuff. I swore to myself that all of their "stuff" would be contained in their own rooms. Did it happen? Nope. As with everything else, I am finding it everywhere. Be it the 3 year old, who wants to play with his toys in the living room or the 9 month old who needs his own containment area for his own safety. So where do I find myself lately?

I wish that I could blame it on the holidays, birthdays and other special occasions but what it honestly boils down to is...I would rather play with my kids than do chores. We only have one chance to have this one day and well laundry can wait. The only problem is...I spend the day picking up from everything that we have been playing with that I just don't have the energy to pick up after the normal stuff.

One of my New Year's resolutions was to keep a handle on the laundry. For the month of January, I look back and think that I was pretty successful. Then on Monday, I walked into the laundry room. Ok I lied. I had to push and pull my way into the laundry room. I have been doing laundry for 4 people and a potty training puppy for 3 whole days now and well, after cleaning up the bedrooms I can probably add another day or two. Embarassed...yes...tired...yes...but I think that the whole neighborhood just decided to drop their laundry off at my house and pray that I would just not notice.

It's not that our children have too many clothes, because that is not the case. Each of them had a load and a half. I could possibly see the fact that we had guests in the house for well over a week, that the number of towels, blankets and sheets grew. I can also see that the children and I were gone for almost a week so we have that laundry too, and I can also see that we have a puppy that we are potty training right now. Do Mr. Bacon Bringer Homer and I have too many clothes...yes.

So what am I doing to simplify this task I desperately abhor?
A new system is going into play around here at Chez Stoneford. Monk is old enough to turn his clothes right side out when he takes them off and well Mr. BBH and I can too. So, I am instilling a your own laundry load system. I found that doing it this way, affords less time to fold and an easier time of actually putting the clothes away. No more sorting into five or six different piles then taking the to their desired locations. wash, dry, fold, go to ONE specific place...Load by Load laundry! Wish me luck!

I also went through all of the kids clothes and dumped. I had one empty laundry basket and into it went the clothes that were too small or I just would never let them wear. Since the kids clothes are easier to monitor...they are constantly changing sizes, I really don't have to worry about out of season clothes for them. Mr. BBH and me....different story. I went through all of my clothes in drawers and dumped. I found Maternity clothes still hiding out in there as well as clothes that I should never wear again. We need to donate these things before they go out of style and no one wants to wear them! When Mr. BBH gets home tonight I am praying that he will do the same! I am also hoping that we can tackle doing this to the Master Closet this weekend.


Today, I also tackled the linen closet. Gone went the ratty pilled towels, the sheets that we never use and those pillowcases that no longer match the sheet sets and the comforters that haven't seen a bed in a year. 

Discosure: I can't part with my down comforters though. Just because it was really pleasant this winter...in to a space bag they will go. 

Now back to that linen closet...it serves a dual purpose, not only does it hold linens, but the top rack is home for those taken away toys for naughty children. Better Homes and Gardens recommended a plastic container library. With this concept along with our taken toys, we will just dump them into the container and bring them out on rainy days. Personally, I prefer for Monk to earn them back, but I am just going to do that for the entertainment center dumping ground. We will see how it goes. Hey if anything, there will be less toys to pick up in the playroom!


Before leaving to go for Grandma's birthday and Grammy's surgery, I decluttered the play room. The trash bags came out when the kids were napping and into them went those toys that I can stand, the ones that are too young for Monk but too old for the Gator and reorganized and simplified. I toted them up to the attic and they are awaiting the next consignment sale to find their forever homes! I was recently reading Real Simple to try to find ways to simplify our life. I hope that I got something from it, but actually applying it will be another story.

Where I am in the De-cluttering world...
one 1/2 Bath, one coat closet, two kitchen counter dump sites, one pantry, two freezers, one top of the fridge, one playroom, 3 dressers, children's bedroom, one sitting room and one laundry room! Yeah, I wish I could say the garage or storage room, but hey some of us just can't change overnight but we are on the right path...I hope.

For my locals, the end of April is Alley Cats & Angels semi-annual yard sale....

No comments:

Post a Comment