Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Day 2: Consumerist Challenge & Decluttering

A few more disclosures for you on our Consumerist Challenge.

My husband and I came up with this idea while driving to the zoo this weekend and we realized that in our thrifty ways we had enough potatoes in the freezer that we could probably eat them for 2 months straight. Ok, they were a really good deal here at our local Harris Teeter, and well I LOVE coupons, so that made them an even better deal. Who can pass that up! So no we did not make this huge gigantic trip to the grocery store to "stock up" on what we would need to get us through this challenge. But we are not seeing it as a challenge but as a way to clean up and go through those little dark places that have been hiding things that we have chosen just to ignore they exist and choose a much simpler... well quicker route. We will also not be cashing in any gift cards either! So no temptation there!

On the No Spending $$$ on gifts part, I believe we happened to forget that our Anniversary is in a week and well, we are going to have to get creative. Who needs a store bought card or another spa gift certificate to add to the pile that I have been collecting dust for the past three years and have never "cashed" in on. Frankly, I just have never had the time to use them. I seem to use the the excuse that Mr. Bread Winner works odd hours and well I can't fit it in on those furlough days. Well sometimes that is totally true but the real thing is...I would just rather spend the time with my kid and my husband out in the backyard tossing around a ball than get a massage. Crazy huh? Just don't let him know that though incase I would like a mommy free day!

Also, I think I forgot to mention that Mr. Bread Winner's birthday is at the end of the month and well creative $$ Free. Ideas are welcome and would be greatly appreciated. Fortunately, I have a couple of weeks to think on this!

So how did Day 2 of our Consumerist Challenge go?

Well we started the day with 6 diapers left in the bin...DUN, DUNT, DUN... oh no! Did we have to go to Target? Temptation starts to set in and well we got in the car we needed out of the house anyway. But we did not spend any $$$, we actually walked out with money! Yay for returns. I had been meaning to get around to returning a few packages and a box of diapers that the baby has out grown. I also need to get to BJ's to return 2 boxes of Pampers since my son has become allergic to them and does better with Seventh Generation, but we left those for another day.

What better way to get the use of space out of the top of the closet and de-clutter! But to reduce our reliance on having to buy buy buy more diapers (plus I didn't bring a coupon, and I can't just exchange and re-buy something when I have a coupon to save $1-3 off even if that money was on a merchandise credit...). A friend of mine had given me her new-age cloth diapers when I was pregnant and well we are going to give them a go and just use disposables when we are out of the house on weekends. So no new diapers entering our home...today!
       
          Cha-Ching light bulb goes on in my head for the November 1st Challenge:
          Disposable vs. Fuzzy whatcha-ma-call-its.

On the other note, it's been raining outside all day long and well with 2 kids in tow there wasn't a debate in my head of walking the 3 mile trek to Target and saving the gas. So we drove to and fro. Gas decrease. 28 days left and we have Tot Sports time starting this Friday and all subsequent Fridays for 2 months. Going to have to Carpool. Fortunately we are doing this with a friend and her son and they have a car that can fit my 2 car seats along with her 1 and my heiny in it too!

For Supper we are having some company over! Yay for Elections and a Business trip, "We" well the kids and I will be joined by a friend and her son! We actually really enjoy daddy free dinner nights. The kids make a royal mess, but we get to just have an evening play date. So on the menu is some chili pulled from the deep freeze and those dreaded potatoes (tonight's..Tater Tot's) that have to be gone through!

Totals for the day:

Consumerist Challenge: 0
Us: 1
$0 spent!!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment