Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Day 3: Consumerism almost gets the best of me

This morning began as the epitome of epic failure and it all started oh at about midnight. So as I told the world that we were pretty much out of diapers yesterday, what I failed to note was the 6 that I thought we had was actually 3 which dwindled down to 1 come morning. So last night we attempted the cloth diapers on the baby and well, the first one went on great, no problems there. Both and I mean both of my children decided somewhere the universe told them that they wanted to stay up and wait for Mr. Bread Winner to come home from a long day of elections. So the baby made it until 11:45 and the 3 year old made it until about um...3 minutes after he walked in the door. So just after midnight in the land of should be all peace, love and quietness the baby woke in the nice placid way he does, and needed to be taken up to the crib. But apparently that notion was nowhere in his little mind. Mr. Bread Winner sweetly rocked him beside the crib in usual daddy fashion and normally that works to get this little one back to the land of sweet dreams. Nope. Not today. After a diaper change and 30 minutes of the purple cry, we gave in...we thought that since it was not a-typical of him something might just be wrong...out comes comfort boobie or CB as it is referred to around our house. All being right with the world again after another 1/2 hour the baby was finally fast asleep in the crib.

DUN DUNT DUN....

The batteries in the smoke detectors start going off a couple of hours later and the whole house is up well before the sun even has the chance of rising on the horizon. Mr. Bread Winner teaches what he thought was the right smoke detector a lesson...Nope...Monk as we call our 3 year old wants to get up and watch TV and the baby, we call him Gator is wailing. We typically don't let Monk watch that much TV and well the sun isn't even awake so maybe he will fall back to sleep...WooHoo after 5 minutes the Gold medal goes to Chez Stoneford, but Gator on the other hand not so easy. Upon closer look at our little cherub, he is SOAKED, and so is the crib! We changed him, brought him into our bed for some CB and back to sleep we all went.

DUN DUNT DUN...

We woke to a pee soaked Gator again. We didn't think we had been doing anything wrong, but again maybe because he had eaten so much over the course of the night...Got up changed everything and the Gator came down stairs, put him on the floor and since he is doing the scoot roll thing, he was having fun. I walked in the living room after giving Monk his breakfast to SQUISH! My carpet is wet. Ok now my own tears have started to come down...Mommy meltdown before noon. 2 beds and now the carpet. What were we doing wrong?

Did you hear that toilet flush, because Consumerism was beginning to get the best of me by now and I was fully prepared to go and buy those diapers that I forcibly did not buy yesterday. 1 disposable left so I called for HELP!!! I took that 1 disposable and started to put it on the Gator and then guess what? The freaking tab broke on the one side deeming it useless. So at the advice of a friend, DUCT TAPE to the rescue. (I will ad in she offered to go to the store and buy me a pack of Diapers!) Now Mr. Bread Winner is an Eagle Scout so we had to have it just lying around right? No freaking duct tape! By this time patience was not getting the best of me and well I took that broken last disposable put the Gator in it and put a cloth diaper over it. It just had to work until something. I went to the store or just got rescued from my pee floating island.

Knock Knock...Who's there?

There I stood with my hair a mess, smelling horribly in my jammies that smelled from the puddle, eyes puffy and just losing it. The same friend that had given me the Cloth Diapers came knocking Starbucks White Chocolate Mocha in hand, she handed it over and graciously gave me a hug! Apparently I was supposed to use these things called Diaper covers on some of the diapers that she had given me. And well they were not anywhere to be found in the bag!

So to sum it all up, Consumerism Diverted for another day, Cheers for a friend with Starbucks to the rescue. Now where was there room in my morning for those BonBons? or my afternoon of cleaning, scrubbing? All for the love of my children. All for the love of my children :)

Totals for the day:

Consumerism: 0
Us:1

4 comments:

  1. I suppose you could make some sort of snarky comment about the "friend" who left you high and errrr dry (???) without those cloth diaper covers. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! :)

    Always remember; that which does not kill us makes us stronger! Erma Bombeck had a very successful career as a writer relaying stories of raising her children... just sayin'. ;)

    Glad to hear you're using cloth diapers. I used them for my kids and loved them. Rubber pants (diaper covers) are definitely not "optional" as you've now discovered (the hard way it sounds LOL). Another trick I learned from my older sister (Aunt Kathy) is to keep a bar of soap (still in the wrapper) on the changing table and stick the pins into it. This makes the pins slide easily into the cloth. Also keeps the pins in one place so you're not searching for them.

    Press on - you guys are doing a wonderful job raising your family. I love you guys and look forward to seeing your book on the best seller list. :)

    Love,
    Aunt Melanie

    p.s. Brian... no duct tape??? I've even seen pics on your page poking fun at the Hello Kitty duct tape! Duct tape and WD40 are essentials for every home mister... get on it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these stories and your vision to simplify! We use probably the cheapest cloth diaper system around, with prefolds (ordered online) and vinyl covers from Babies R Us. Also there's a fantastic little fastener called a Snappi that is way easier than pins. Using the same 39 diapers for 3 kids versus about 21000 disposables... that's one decision I don't regret. We had better luck with the vinyl covers than the fancy velcro kind. Call us if you need duct tape again before the end of the month. Hang in there! _Erin A

    ReplyDelete