Thursday, January 24, 2013

I say what I mean and mean what I say

One of the things, my father took pride on in his life as a physician was a piece of advice one of his college professors had given him. This professor, obviously had been very wise, he said, "when caring for another person, if you truly listen to what your patient is saying, they will tell you what is wrong even if they don't have the technical knowledge to." This piece of advice stuck with my father and he instilled it in my sisters and I. I tend to utilize it in every fashion of life. Not necessarily for the "what is wrong" but "what is someone saying" and "why do they think this is important".

I live in a toddlers world. In that world, they do not understand inference. There is no guessing that mommy or daddy or whomever is being facetious; they understand the literal. So in all actuality... what it wrong with this method of thinking? Nothing. Many a man wants to understand the woman's world. So many women are so indecisive about things and understanding a man is easy. They say what they mean and mean what they say, or at least my husband does. I too, say what I mean and mean what I say. There is just no point in life beating around the bush and not living happily. This is how our marriage works. 

The nice thing about this, is it's just how, theoretically, life works. If you honestly express what you really want, there is no misconception on how you, as a person are and how others see you, viewing the world. This is one of the things we are striving to instill in our children.

The human race, no matter who you are holds the premise that "honesty is the best policy." But somewhere along the line, beit in my world it is black and white, however, the world outside of my bubble has made the gray bigger than the line itself. Why? I tend to blame this on political correctness and entitlement. We as a society, are spending too much time trying to tend to emotions and feelings rather than saying what we mean and other people taking it for face value. Too many are using "copouts". Why should I teach my child that life is a cakewalk and things will be given to you? It is total BS. I teach my children that if they work hard, be polite, and take a genuine interest in what others are saying to them, he WILL be successful. He might not be the monetarily wealthiest person on the planet, but he will be bountiful in other ways.

The fact of the matter is, we are so busy in our lives that we are letting too many "things" surpass our humanity. But when is it ok, to let humanity suffer and bow down to the whim of every emotional copout? It is not, so if everybody put on their big boy or big girl panties, we might just have a little less entitlement and a lot more understanding of the human mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment